The Red Birds will save $3.5 million against the salary cap by releasing Bradley. Gay was set to earn $3.225 million this coming season.
Talk about bad timing – Bradley found out he was being released when he was going through customs after returning from his honeymoon. Ouch.
The 29-year-old Bradley has been a disappointment since signing a five-year, $30 million contract with the Cardinals after the NFL lockout. He has not cracked Arizona's starting lineup in his two seasons with the Cardinals and is unlikely to come back due to his $6.5 million cap number.
The University of Nebraska product, who took a 50 percent pay cut last year, recorded just 11 tackles in 16 games with the Cardinals last season. In 32 games with the Red Birds, Bradley has only 42 tackles, including 31 solo tackles.
Gay spent just one season in the desert with the Red Birds after five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The University of Louisville product played in all 16 games during Arizona's 5-11 campaign in 2012. He compiled 45 tackles, one sack and two interceptions and forced three fumbles.
Gay wasn't that bad a player – he was just too expensive for Arizona's taste. Such is the salary cap era.
- Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Cardinals-101/314333385330783
- Follow us on Twitter @Cardinals_101
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Arizona Cardinals’ Stewart Bradley May Be a Salary Cap Casualty
- Is Early Doucet on Borrowed Time with Arizona Cardinals?
- Will Kevin Kolb Be a Salary Cap Casualty with the Arizona Cardinals?
- Should the Arizona Cardinals Pursue Dwight Freeney?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qod